Feb 17, 2017

Pejorative update.


Okay... so a day has passed.

I’ve had time to think about the events of yesterday.

These are things I’m willing to concede:
  • Peter David is smarter than me.

  • Peter David is a better writer than me.

  • Peter David reaches a larger audience than me.

  • Peter David has many more fans than me.

So, when you look at all those things, what’s in it for me? I mean, when you get right down to it, is there an advantage to dwelling on this? No.

However, while I am willing to concede all of the above. While I am willing to grant there wasn’t intent behind what was written, I tried a little experiment of my own... I’m not right all the time, not even half the time! I wish things were different but I must admit I am a person of great flaws. As such, I call upon other people to see what their reactions and opinions are on a given subject in order to better gauge whether or not there is validity to a stance I have taken.

Example:

TV Show: WISEGUY

Movie: HITMAN
I started this a long time ago, this must have been back in 2008 which was when I lost any respect I had for Peter David.

I’m probably not alone in that as Peter has managed to pick fights throughout his career and so I am in very good company. There is a level of conviction which isn’t as much admirable in David as it is a sign of his stupidity and close mindedness.

Lately, I have peeked in on his blog after not bothering with it for a very long time. The advent of a Trump Presidency has produced a level of shock that is laughable to witness. Once in awhile, someone will pop their head in in the comments section to promote an alternative view of events after which David’s ball licking acolytes will swarm like a nest of angry, ignorant hornets in defense of their Hut messiah.

It’s pretty good for shits and giggles.

Perhaps what is most entertaining is the zero sum game of these morons - the partisan math that puts the world into black and white values instead of shades of gray.

I find I cannot look upon that rigid adherence to any political philosophy and walk away having respect for a person.

On the heels of that, there comes news of this shocking study:

It’s great to see these liberal folks who are so ’progressive‘ and ‘open minded’ to other views to be as repressive as fascists. It’s something that went on throughout the election cycle and something which increases with alarming regularity.

Somewhere along the line, the idea of ‘free’ got confused with ‘popular’ and that portends a big problem in this country. Everyone has a right to their opinion, from idiots like David to Klansmen, just like we have a right to laugh at them all. We need to have a plurality of voices, it’s important for a society if it is to move forward.

It’s a shame to see people think it’s a good idea to shut opposing views down, maybe that has to do with the urge to ‘win’ the argument but it’s an action that ultimately leads to losing.

Anyway, I started this entry originally because of what I found to be a highly offensive and biased remark. I’m not angry about the remark anymore as much as disappointed in the person and have long since gotten over it (time can bring about it’s own rewards in terms of people getting their own comeuppance).

I’m fairly certain has I made some kind of remark about Jewish people, money or bankers, David would have been highly offended too and he would have been right to be offended because it plays into a stupid and offensive stereotype. His being so incredibly dismissive out of hand shows an insensitivity and underlying bigotry in him. It’s not as if the imbecile even apologized as much as it was that I HAD NO RIGHT TO BE OFFENDED BY HIS STATEMENT.

That’s where the rub is. you can take that attitude and put it in a bunch of other contexts and see where it would be a huge problem. Then there was the idea from one of the ball lickers that EVEN SOME OF PETER’S FRIENDS ARE ITALIAN.

Just classic... really, you can’t make up stuff like this.

I put in those strike-throughs when I was finishing this up because I realized they weren’t true.

By the way, this is part (and only a small part) of David’s response back then - truly we are talking about one enlightened individual:
“...And I know plenty of Italians who like Italian jokes, Polish who like Polish jokes, Catholics who like Catholic jokes, etc. That’s because I tend to associate with people who don’t wear their indignation on their sleeves.”
Or people who just figure you can’t take being told you’re an asshole when you so readily embrace the role.

No comments: